Ikariam is a strategy MMO set in a archipelago full of islands inspired by classic Greece. Begin on an island and make a name for your town both locally and worldwide by acquiring and managing resources, training an army, improving the town, and expanding your reach by building new towns on new islands.
Type: Web & Mobile Strategy
Release Date: February, 2008
Pros: +Unique resource system. +Beginner-friendly. +Good visuals.
Cons: -Slow progression. -Pay-to-win elements. -Generic gameplay.
Ikariam is a free-to-play city strategy MMO that features much of the standard browser-based strategy gameplay players would expect, such as research trees, resource acquisition and management, city building, PvP multiplayer, city expansion, and civilian micromanagement. A mobile version of the game called Ikariam Mobile is also available for iOS and Android. Learn via a short tutorial that teaches the user interface and some of the game’s main elements to the player. Play through a large amount of content with various upgrades and fields. Be wary of the constant flow of time, as the game's clock runs whether you are online or not. Choose to be friendly with neighbors, or attack them to pillage and capture goods. Enjoy bright and colorful graphics while growing from a single town to a vast kingdom.
Ikariam Key Features:
- Real-Time Progression – the game’s time flows whether you are online or offline, giving the game a greater sense of danger and urgency to protect your city.
- Colorful Graphics – enjoy fully animated graphics in a bright, legible art style not often found in MMO strategy games.
- Resource Management – allot your citizens into different professions to manage your resource generation and usage, making your city highly customizable.
- Beginner-Friendly – pick up the game with ease with the help of a concise tutorial.
- Multiple PvP Options – decide whether your neighbors are friend or foe, choosing to pillage, capture, or spy on them if they are the latter. Or extend an alliance to trade goods and send defenders to help against oncoming attacks.
Ikariam Featured Video
Operating System: XP / Vista / 7 / 8
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Equivalent
Video Card: Any Graphics Card (Integrated works well too)
RAM: 512 MB
Hard Disk Space: 100 MB (Cache)
Ikariam is a browser-based MMO and will run smoothly on practically any PC. The game was tested and works well on Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox and Chrome. Any modern web-browser should run the game smoothly. Ikariam is also available on Facebook.
Ikariam Music & Soundtrack
Ikariam Additional Info
Directors: Sebastian Mayer, Martina Herdt
Associate Lead Developer: Manuel Göllnitz
Game Design: Sven Schaller
Release Date: February 2008 (Browser)
iOS Release Date: November, 2012
Android Release Date: June, 2015
Platforms: Browser, iOS, Android
Development History / Background:
Ikariam was developed and produced by Gameforge, a German online game provider that also publishes TERA (in Europe), OGame, and Elsword (EU). Ikariam is one of the most successful browser-based games ever with over 51 million registered players, with 38 different languages available allowing players from all over the world to play. It came out on iOS in November 2012 and on Android in June 2015, allowing even further reach with its mobile versions. The game’s website offers its browser-based version and does not require any downloads or browser-based plug-ins to play. Ikariam is very similar to Anno Online, Star Trek: Alien Domain, Siegelord, and other strategy games.