Master x Master Shutting Down on January 31st, 2018
NCSoft announced today that Master x Master, the company's unique hero-swapping MOBA, will be shutting down on January 31st, 2018. Until the servers shut down, players will have access to the following:
- All players will receive 500,000 X-Coin to unlock all content
- The community-developed Lua skin will be made available to all players for 1 X-Coin
- Real money purchases on the MXM Store will be permanently disabled
- All game modes will be turned on, and available at all times
- Refunds in full on purchases made between Aug. 30 and Nov. 16. This will happen automatically within the next 7-14 days, and will be refunded via the same method the purchase was made, if possible. For additional refund specifics
Given the unique nature of Master x Master, it's sad to see the game shut down. The game's tag team mechanic made it unique amongst all MOBAs. The game did have a bit of an identity problem though which may have contributed to its demise. Was it a MOBA or an MMORPG? It did have some PvE elements and players needed to do PvE to gain access to stat enhancing nodes.
While I personally really enjoyed the game's 3v3 Battlerite like arena mode, I wasn't a big fan of the 5v5. Still, I'm sad to see the game shutting down.