Total War: ARENA
Total War: ARENA is a team-based strategy game that puts players in the middle of massive-scale battles, pitting two teams of ten players against each other in MOBA-inspired combat. Control iconic commanders and units from history, each with their own battle style, including Leonidas, Caesar, and more.
Type: Real-time Strategy
PvP: Large-Scale Wars
Release Date: February 22, 2018
Shut Down: February 2019
Pros: +Unique 10 vs 10 RTS and MOBA-influenced gameplay. +Massive scale battles. +Tons of unlockables. +Detailed graphics.
Cons: -Progression can feel grindy.
Total War: ARENA Overview
Total War: ARENA is a free-to-play real-time strategy MMO that blends traditional RTS gameplay with a fast-paced, intense multiplayer experience that focuses on teamwork and intelligent unit placement. Built specifically for multiplayer battles, the game allows players to delve into the game's wars in a more intimate way, controlling only three units and one commander on a team of ten players; similar to games such as Kingdom Under Fire II and War Rage. It features a variety of battlefields to conduct war, bringing together a variety of commanders and unit types to create a balanced game experience that can suit every person's play style. As more matches are played, a larger variety of units and commanders can be unlocked that increase in tier, offering new abilities, equipment, stats, and more to reward players for playing often. Optional microtransactions are also available that allow players to customize units, unlock special premium units, and speed up overall progression.
Total War: ARENA Key Features:
- Strategic Team-Based PvP – chat with your team and come up with strategic manuevers to push forward and secure the enemy base with your allies.
- Historical Commanders – unlock and utilize a variety of unique commanders that offer different strategies and battle styles, including Alexander the Great, Leonidas, Caesar, and more.
- Tons of Unlockables – level up commanders and units to open up specialized skills, weaponry, armor, and abilities to help you win in combat.
- 10v10 Multiplayer – rely on a large team of allies, each commanding three units on the battlefield, able to cover weak points and move offensively stop the enemy from progressing.
- Total War Series – fans of RTS and Total War games will enjoy the game's solid strategic gameplay thanks to the developer's experience, designed purely for multiplayer battles.
Total War: ARENA Screenshots
Total War: ARENA Featured Video
Total War: ARENA Review
Total War: ARENA Videos
Total War: ARENA Online Links
Total War: ARENA System Requirements
Operating System: Windows XP/7/8
CPU: Intel Core i3-550 / AMD Phenom II x4 945
Video Card: Geforce GTS 450 / Radeon HD 5750
RAM: 2 GB
Hard Disk Space: 7 GB
Total War: ARENA Music & Soundtrack
Total War: ARENA Additional Information
Developer: The Creative Assembly
Closed Alpha Date: March 24, 2015
Closed Beta Date: September 24, 2015
Open Beta: February 22, 2018
Development History / Background:
Total War: ARENA is developed by The Creative Assembly, a British game developer notable for its long-running and critically acclaimed Total War series, and published by SEGA, the publisher of many of the Total War games in the series. Total War: ARENA is the first multiplayer-focused game that the developers have created, mixing elements of real-time strategy games with multiplayer online battle arenas such as League of Legends and Dota 2.The game was announced on June 20, 2013; and its closed alpha began on March 24, 2015 on Steam. The game's closed beta began on September 24, 2015, and is free to sign up for on the game's website.
The game officially launched into open beta through Wargaming (company behind Wolrd of Tanks, World of Warships, and World of Warplanes) on February 22, 2018. In an official post dated November 22, 2018 it was announced by Creative Assembly that Total War: ARENA would shut down in February 2019.